Just one more thing...

Moritz Warning moritzwarning at web.de
Tue Feb 17 13:39:51 PST 2009

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 12:11:38 -0800, Walter Bright wrote:

> Now includes Mac OSX version!
>
> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/changelog.html
> http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.1.040.zip
>

> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html
> http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.2.025.zip
>
> Expect bugs. Thread local storage isn't working on OSX, neither are
> sockets and memory mapped files (for unknown reasons).
>
> Thanks to Sean Kelly for a lot of help on the runtime library with this.

Great to see a osx dmd! Thanks!

But! The new folder structure (./<OS>/bin/) is very unfortunate.

Installer scripts need to be rewritten and tutorials changed
all over the net.

Can't we have three release files, for windows, linux and osx?
It's the way every other program I've seen in my life does it.
This way the directory structure would be preserved.
The download volume would be reduced (linux user don't have to download
the windows stuff etc.).
The users don't get confused by looking for the OS specific download.
The linux package can be a tar.gz file with executable bit set already.

*PLEASE* :)