Just one more thing...

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Sat Feb 28 04:24:05 PST 2009

Brad Roberts wrote:
> Michel Fortin wrote:

>>> I would not completely agree with you on this. When you install the
>>> developer tools on osx 10.5 it installs SDKs for 10.5 and 10.4 as
>>> default, but you can also choose to install support for older
>>> versions. I'm not sure if it's only for 10.3 or also for 10.2.
>> On Mac OS X 10.5, you can compile for 10.3 using Xcode 3, and 10.2 using
>> Xcode 2.5 (Xcode 2.5 for Leopard is a free download). Of course, 10.2
>> and 10.3 being PowerPC-only, there's no point trying to compile DMD for
>> them.
>
> You can do that if and only if you don't require newer apis.  If you've
> been reading this thread, you know that the runtime uses the posix
> thread apis and those are supported less and less well as you go back in
> time.  The ability to support the old versions isn't some magic wand
> that conjures up new features into those old releases.
>
> Later,
> Brad

I was just trying to say that in some cases they do support older
systems. I can agree with you that they could support older systems
better by updating apis and similar. But somewhere you have to draw a
line, if every new api and feature should be available in an older
system then what's the point with a new system.