LDC 0.9 released

Tomas Lindquist Olsen tomas.l.olsen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 03:56:53 PST 2009

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 11:19 AM, Walter Bright
<newshound1 at digitalmars.com>wrote:

> Christian Kamm wrote:
>
>> PowerPC support is still in its infancy. We've had two people looking at
>> it
>> a few months back, but I haven't heard from either recently. I think they
>> ran into a frontend-portability issue:
>> http://www.dsource.org/projects/ldc/ticket/76
>>
>> I don't think anyone has tried LDC on ARM yet.
>>

> ARM is real big on embedded systems like phones. D is an ideal language for
> them. I get asked a lot about supporting it.

Moritz Warning did some good work on getting LDC to compile and run on
ARM/Linux a while back. IIRC he even posted a virtual machine image with
everything to try it out, there was still some runtime issue to care of
though. Also, this wasn't a cross compiler, but rather LDC running natively
on the ARM itself, which is probably not what most people would want. LDC
has most things in place for cross compilation already, but there's still
some work to be done in that area before it's fully useful.
Moritz, please chime in with any corrections/additions :)

> The PPC is a more fill-in-the-blank, as it is yesterday's machine.

As far as I know, LLVM's PPC target is fairly mature, and getting LDC to
work on this platform would probably not take that much more work once the
frontend issues there have been sorted.