Introduction to ArcLib Updated...

Denis Koroskin 2korden at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 03:21:45 PST 2009

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 13:35:34 +0300, Daniel Keep <daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> Denis Koroskin wrote:
>> On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 07:46:04 +0300, Jarrett Billingsley
>> <jarrett.billingsley at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> If you set their SVN mime-type to image/jpeg, they'll show up in the
>>> browser (instead of having to download them).
>>
>> I bet you are using firefox, right?
>> I have no problem with it under Opera.
>
> That's because Firefox is following the standard, and Opera isn't.  I
> can't remember if it's defined in the HTTP or HTML specs, but the
> browser is supposed to always act on the mime type, irrespective of what
> the URL is.
>
>   -- daniel

telnet svn.dsource.org 80
>> GET /projects/arclib/downloads/screenshots/screenshot.png HTTP/1.1
>> Host: svn.dsource.org

<< HTTP/1.1 200 OK
<< Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 11:11:37 GMT
<< Server: Apache
<< Last-Modified: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 15:28:57 GMT
<< ETag: "422//downloads/screenshots/screenshot.png"
<< Accept-Ranges: bytes

Headers are fine, MIME type is "application/octet-stream", which is also ok.

RFC 2046 - MIME, Part two: Media Types (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2046) states:
> 4.2.  Image Media Type
> Unrecognized subtypes of "image" should at a minimum be treated as "application/octet-stream".

Browser shouldn't force download in this case, it should try to view the image.