Descent 0.5.4 released

Ary Borenszweig ary at esperanto.org.ar
Tue Jan 27 03:53:25 PST 2009

The Descent plugin for Eclipse provides an IDE for writing, launching
and debugging code in D.

Explanations on how to get it from within Eclipse are here:

http://www.dsource.org/projects/descent

New features:
  - Compile-time view (Window -> Show View -> Other -> D -> Compile-time
View): allows you to see things from the compiler point of view, which
applies some transformations to the source code. For example you can see
what happens when you do a foreach, when you invoke an "extension
method", when you do operator overloading; know what type has an auto
variable; how struct fields are accessed?; compiler optimizations. It
also removes conditionals that evaluate to false, and shows the results
of mixins in-place. As always, this is far from perfect and a lot of
things can be improved. For the lazies, I'll later upload a video about
this. :-)
  - Now hovering over a mixin (over the "mixin" keyword) shows it's
result in a popup.
  - Now hovering over a function or template instance with ctrl+shift
shows it's compile-time result (with shift only: it's source code).
  - Added code templates for operator overloading, so that you don't
have to remember all those names. Try them by typing "op" and pressing
ctrl+space.
  - Fixed ticket #160: new completion proposals: "classinfo" and "outer"
(when available) are shown for classes. "ptr" and "funcptr" are shown
for delegates.

Please note that most of these features are experimental. (the
compile-time view is mostly useful to experiment with small cases to see
what the compiler is doing, like for example if you write "auto x = [1,
2, 3];", to see what type the compiler gives to x)

I also fixed the problem with the last version: I accidentally
introduced a dependency with JDT and that was causing the problems most
of you had, so in this version this dependency was removed and updating
should work as usual.

Any suggestion, critic or bug report is welcome. You can use:
- the forums: http://www.dsource.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=107
- trac: http://www.dsource.org/projects/descent/report?action=new
- irc: at freenode, #d.descent

Enjoy!