Descent 0.5.4 released

Ary Borenszweig ary at esperanto.org.ar
Tue Jan 27 11:19:36 PST 2009

Saaa wrote:
> Which kind of optimizations are located in the front-end?
> Not the -O ones, right?

Which ones are the -O ones? You can see which optimizations are applied
in the front end in optimize.c

For example this:

---
int foo(int x) {
   return x * 2 * 2;
}

int bar(int x) {
   return 2 * 2 * x;
}
---

is transformed to this:

---
int foo(int x) {
   return x * 2 * 2;
}

int bar(int x) {
   return 4 * x;
}
---

So it seems the optimize.c code just optimizes left subexpressions. I
wonder if -O does more that. Because if not, there's still a lof of room
for optimization in the compiler.

Where can I find a version of obj2asm for Windows to see what's going on
in those cases?