dmd 1.046 and 2.031 releases

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Mon Jul 6 22:21:25 PDT 2009

Derek Parnell wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 21:59:54 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>
>> There's a lot of punctuation that has different
>> roles depending on the context.
>
> Agreed. No argument here. The meaning of punctuation depends on its
> context. Got it.
>
> However, that aside, the syntax you have chosen will have a rational
> explanation for its superiority. So can you explain in simple terms why
>
>     CaseLabelInt .. CaseLabelInt  eg. case 1: .. case 9:
>
> is superior than
>
>     case CaseRange:  eg. case 1 .. 9:

It is superior because case 1 .. 9: raises the question on whether 9 is
included or not. Consistency with a[1 .. 9] and foreach (x; 1 .. 9)
suggests that 9 should not be included, common usage of case statements
suggests that 9 should be included.

> given that
>   CaseLabelInt ==> case IntegerExpression :
>   CaseRange    ==> IntegerExpression .. IntegerExpression

What's this?

>> On the full side of the glass, with the latest dmd release, the language
>> has acquired some useful feature improvements and the implementation has
>> fixed many bugs.
>
> Yes it truly has, and thank you very much to all contributors.
>
>> Why the crankiness?
>
> Because it is so demoralizing to point out 'warts' in D/DMD and be
> subsequently dismissed as ungrateful plebeians who are wasting the time of
> the patricians. Sorry, but you did ask.

I understand. Sorry about that. I am certain there's a misreading of
attitude, though I clearly see how you could acquire that impression.

Andrei