dmd 1.046 and 2.031 releases

"Jérôme M. Berger" jeberger at free.fr
Tue Jul 7 11:13:45 PDT 2009

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Derek Parnell wrote:
>> It seems that D would benefit from having a standard syntax format for
>> expressing various range sets;
>>  a. Include begin Include end, i.e. []
>>  b. Include begin Exclude end, i.e. [)
>>  c. Exclude begin Include end, i.e. (]
>>  d. Exclude begin Exclude end, i.e. ()
>
> I'm afraid this would majorly mess with pairing of parens.

	I think Derek's point was to have *some* syntax to mean this, not
necessarily the one he showed (which he showed because I believe
that's the "standard" mathematical way to express it for English
speakers). For example, we could say that [] is always inclusive and
have another character which makes it exclusive like:
  a. Include begin Include end, i.e. [  a .. b  ]
  b. Include begin Exclude end, i.e. [  a .. b ^]
  c. Exclude begin Include end, i.e. [^ a .. b  ]
  d. Exclude begin Exclude end, i.e. [^ a .. b ^]

		Jerome

PS: If you *really* want messed parens pairing, try it with the
French convention:   []   [[   ]]   ][       ;)
mailto:jeberger at free.fr
http://jeberger.free.fr
Jabber: jeberger at jabber.fr