dmd 1.046 and 2.031 releases

"Jérôme M. Berger" jeberger at free.fr
Tue Jul 7 11:23:07 PDT 2009

Robert Jacques wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Jul 2009 03:33:24 -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu
>> Robert Jacques wrote:
>>> BTW: this means byte and short are not closed under arithmetic
>>> operations, which drastically limit their usefulness.
>>
>> I think they shouldn't be closed because they overflow for relatively
>> small values.
>
> Andrei, consider anyone who want to do image manipulation (or computer
> vision, video, etc). Since images are one of the few areas that use
> bytes extensively, and have to map back into themselves, they are
> basically sorry out of luck.

	Wrong example: in most cases, when doing image manipulations, you
don't want the overflow to wrap but instead to be clipped. Having
the compiler notify you when there is a risk of an overflow and
require you to be explicit in how you want it to be handled is
actually a good thing IMO.

		Jerome
mailto:jeberger at free.fr
http://jeberger.free.fr