dmd 1.046 and 2.031 releases

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Tue Jul 7 13:15:42 PDT 2009

bearophile wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu:
>> How often did you encounter that issue?
>
> Please, let's be serious, and let's stop adding special cases to D,
> or they will kill the language.

Don't get me going about what could kill the language.

> Lately I have seen too many special
> cases. For example the current design of the rules of integral seems
> bad. It has bugs and special cases from the start.

Bugs don't imply that the feature is bad. The special cases are well
understood and are present in all of C, C++, C#, and Java.

Value range propagation as defined in D is principled and puts D on the
right side of both safety and speed. It's better than all other
languages mentioned above: safer than C and C++, and requiring much
fewer casts than C# and Java.

Andrei