[OT] Magazine For Fai [was: dmd 1.046 and 2.031 releases]

Leandro Lucarella llucax at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 10:37:28 PDT 2009

Andrei Alexandrescu, el  8 de julio a las 11:46 me escribiste:

I'm sorry about the spanish taglines, they are selected randomly =)

And most (in spanish) are pretty local (argentine) jokes.

> P.S. With the help of a dictionary I think I figured most of this joke:
>
> MP: Cómo está, estimado Bellini?   B: Muy bien, Mario, astrologando.
> MP: Qué tengo?                     B: Un balcón-terraza.
> MP: No, en mi mano, Bellini...     B: Un secarropas!
> MP: No, escuche bien, eh. Tiene    B: El circo de Moscú.
>     números.
> MP: No Bellini. Toma medidas.      B: Un ministro.
> MP: No Bellini, eh! Algunas son    B: Una modelo, Mario!
>     de plástico y otras de madera.
> MP: No, Bellini, no y no!
> 	-- El Gran Bellini (Mario Podestá con una regla)
>
> It's about wild and funny semantic confusions made by Bellini in
> attempting to guess with hints, due to homonymy and, heck, polysemy
> I guess :o). But what does the secarropas (tumble-dryer according to
> http://www.spanishdict.com/translate/secarropas) have to do with
> anything?

It doesn't, it's just absurd to have a tumble-dryer in your hand. This
quote is a sketch from a cable (cult) tv show from Argentina calle
"Magazine For Fai". It was mostly sketch-based absurd humor (format
similar to Monty Python Flying Circus) with the particularity of being
interpreted by children (except for the creator).

This sketch is about a not-so-good mentalist ("El Gran Bellini" or "The
Great Bellini"), who tries to guess what it's in the hand of Mario
Podestá (the creator) with his eyes covered.

If you manage to understand spoken spanish, you can see this sketch video
in YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dANeOdBX6QM or read the
Wikipedia article about the show:
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magazine_For_Fai