Descent generated documentation

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 9 10:48:24 PDT 2009

On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 10:18:37 -0400, Ary Borenszweig <ary at esperanto.org.ar>
wrote:

> Jacob Carlborg escribió:
>> On 7/9/09 6:44 AM, Ary Borenszweig wrote:
>>> Hi all!
>>>
>>> So... I've been playing around with generating ddocs from Descent. I
>>> wanted several things:
>>>
>>> 1. Each reference to a symbol has a link to it. This applied to field
>>> types, functions and methods return types and parameters.
>>> 2. Get to know the supertype hierarchy of a given class.
>>> 3. Get to know direct subclasses of a given class.
>>> 4. Get to know all interfaces a class implements.
>>> 6. Show documentation for compile-time code.
>>> 7. You didn't see I skipped the number 5 in the list.
>>>
>>> (a little joke for the last point :-P)
>>>
>>> I already implemented 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6 is really easy with what I have
>>> now (but I don't want to do it now).

:O  Wow, just wow.

I am very impressed, it already looks like something I'd much rather have
than the current docs.

Looking at the Tango docs, there are a lot of empty/sparse pages, it looks
like you aren't capturing struct methods, is that the only reason?

>> Show all inherited methods in the subclass, only as links
>
> Good one. This is also done by Javadoc. I'll do it.
>
> I'll also provide a link for the method overrided by a method, if any.
> (again, like in Javadoc)

er... please copy base documentation, don't link.  You can put "inherited
 from BaseClass.basemethod".

Reason being, I want to know how object X behaves, I don't want to have to
care where it inherited its guts from, and I also don't want to click 20
times to read all the doc for one object.

Looks like I have to try and figure out how to install descent again :)

-Steve