Descent generated documentation

Ary Borenszweig ary at esperanto.org.ar
Fri Jul 10 12:06:52 PDT 2009

Robert Fraser wrote:
> Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 01:17:29 -0400, Ary Borenszweig
>> <ary at esperanto.org.ar> wrote:

>>> I've updated the docs. New things:
>>>
>>> - Visibility is respected
>>> - Everything except templates are listed (also nested types are listed)
>>> - Modifiers are shown
>>> - Public imports are listed (but it doesn't work quite well, I'll
>>> check it)
>>> - Module level documentation is shown
>>> - Inherited methods are shown
>>>
>>> Still no expand/collapse thingy.
>>
>> /me cleans up pool of drool on desk.
>>
>> One preference, if it's possible, is to copy the description of
>> inherited methods from the base class.  Even if not the entire
>> documentation, just a summary, first sentence from the documentation.
>>
>> Already it's better than ddoc.  Nice work!
>>
>> -Steve
>
> me too
>
> Also, I think Javadoc's tables are easier to read. The "list" view of
> this looks better, but it's difficult to differentiate what is what.
> Javadoc's tables & lines give a clear separation between sections. Just
> my bikeshed.

It's not just bikeshed. It's important how the documentation looks,
because you really just look at documentation and navigate it, nothing
else. :)

I also though about the tables... but in Javadoc it's easier because
each page lists all of the relevant information for a class, interface
or enum. Here I have to list all the information for the modules. I
could probably do some big sections, and then in each of them tables.
Mmm... I'll see how it looks.

(tables are nice in Javadoc because you can scroll your eyes down and
see the list of things, but in the current list of my docs you have the
return type before it, and sometimes modifiers)