C++0x Concepts - Dead?

BLS windevguy at hotmail.de
Thu Jul 16 15:52:49 PDT 2009

Walter Bright wrote:
> BLS wrote:
>> The current Template specialization implementation is doing a best fit
>> search anyway, so why constraints are not able to use the same
>> mechanism. ?
>
> The template specialization method is based on types - but there's no
> way to look inside those types and specialize based on properties of
> those types. That's where constraints come in.
>
> Constraints use a completely different matching method than the type
> parameters do. It makes intuitive sense to logically separate them,
> rather than to mix them up.

Thanks for taking the time to answer ; But the question remains the same
: _Why_ ? Constraints /have/ to use a completely different approach ?

("more intuitive than" is not ..ahem.. is not a good enough reason)

>> bearophile brings in several times Scala/OCAML like pattern matching.
>> Why not using that for constraints ?
>
> I have no idea how that works, though Bartosz has been looking into it.

O well, I am pretty sure that bearophile is willing to give you any
information you need  :)