ACCU 2010 Call for Papers

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Mon Jul 20 14:30:19 PDT 2009

bearophile wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu:
>> So I compel you to think of submitting a talk proposal.<
>
> Do you have ideas/suggestions for our possible topics to write talks about?

Good question. A great starting point for figuring out the style is
perusing the schedule of past ACCU conferences at www.accu.org. A few
suggestions off the top of my head:

* Focus on one feature of D and explain it in depth. Example: "String
mixins: the assembly language of generative programming". Wow that's
such a cool topic. Example: "Template lalaland: a comparison of Java,
C#, C++, and D template mechanisms"

* Pick a design technique or pattern and illustrate it with D code
(and/or code from other languages). Example: "Hot patching in D: how to
make a compiled language act as an interpreter".

* This particular conference's focus is on testing, so anything
interesting related to it would be welcome. Example: "Beyond unittests:
systematic testing and coverage techniques for the D programming
language and beyond"

* Concurrency is always a popular topic.

* I've given an immutability in D talk in 2008, but I feel there's more
interesting stuff to be said.

* The ACCU crowd is always interested in methodology talks, something
that I'm not an expert in. But if you are, go for it. Example: "How RUP,
Agile, XP, and waterfall can save the day if used together"

* Talking about a particular library or framework is always very
popular. Example: "Dux: A High-Performance windowing/building/constraint
solving/matrix/math/logging/networking/persistence/you got the idea
library for D"

Andrei