ACCU 2010 Call for Papers

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Mon Jul 20 20:12:00 PDT 2009

Michel Fortin wrote:
> On 2009-07-20 17:30:19 -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu
> <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> said:
>
>> * Talking about a particular library or framework is always very
>> popular. Example: "Dux: A High-Performance
>> windowing/building/constraint
>> solving/matrix/math/logging/networking/persistence/you got the idea
>> library for D"
>
> I've been wondering if a talk about how I built a bridge between D and
> Objective-C would be interesting: an explanation of how each successive
> template layer improves on the previous one, working for making it easy
> and safe to use at the end. Since the bridge is all written in D, it'd
> be a showcase for D templates and mixins, and for the limited
> compile-time reflexion from D1 that's needed. It'd also be an
> introduction to the Objective-C runtime and how two languages can be
> made to pass objects and throw exceptions at each other seamlessly. All
> this in one package (but is 90 minutes enough?).

Seems to be an interesting topic. Any time is enough for the right level
of detail.

> That said, even if it's an interesting subject, I'm not sure I'm fluent
> enough in english, and I'm not much interested in defraying the cost to
> go there either, and I'm not sure of how much time I'll have to prepare it.

As always there are many reasons for which something cannot be done, and
there's one good reason for which something can, which is your desire to
do it and overcome difficulties. When I landed in the States in January
1998 I had studied virtually no English, and K&R, Stroustrup and
Hollywood movies had been pretty much all my resources; to this day I
have not taken one class of English at any level. By any reasonable
estimation, a book project would have simply been out of the question.

Andrei