MiniD 2 - Might as well be done

Jarrett Billingsley jarrett.billingsley at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 21:06:30 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 6:39 PM, BLS<windevguy at hotmail.de> wrote:
> Why not writing a book about D, Jarrett ? The MiniD documents are excellent.
> In fact you, respective what you write, reminds me to Jesse Liberty + Humor.
> (well,... maybe C++ in 21 days was already a joke) but nevertheless Jesse's
> book was a kind of eye opener to me simply because it shows that is IS
> possible to explain difficult stuff in a smart way.

It's funny you mention Jesse Liberty's C++ in 21 days.  Guess what was
the first programming book I ever read?  ;)  Maybe it influenced me?

>  So why not JB on D...?
> In case of doubt : I am willing to send you a bottle of fine Cognac to give
> the book a very first go. (not kidding)

It'd certainly be an interesting proposition.  I also don't know if
writing a book on D _now_ is the best idea.  If it were based on D1,
it might just be obsolete in two or three years.  If it were based on
D2, well, Andrei has a much better idea of where it's going than I do,
and I also doubt Phobos2 has seen the last major changes.  But maybe
in a bit, when things settle down.  I can see a D2-Phobos2 based book
next year-ish being much more solid.

> However, guess like anybody else, I just can say: Thanks for this
> interesting new language.

Sure!