Boost.ScopeExit based on D's scope(exit)

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Mon Mar 2 10:42:32 PST 2009

Leandro Lucarella wrote:
> Boost 1.38.0 includes a new library ScopeExit:
> http://www.boost.org/users/news/version_1_38_0
>
> This library is based on D's scope(exit) according to the documentation,
> see at the end of the link:
> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_38_0/libs/scope_exit/doc/html/scope_exit/alternatives.html

Cool. I confess I'm mildly miffed. In the "Acknowledge" section (sic)
yours truly is being acknowledged "for pointing me to scope(exit)
construct of the D  programming language." In the Alternatives section
there's an unatrributed link to the ScopeGuard article. My understanding
of ScopeExit looks much more inspired and derivative from ScopeGuard
than a distinct artifact, something that goes entirely unacknowledged.

For some reason ScopeGuard and scope(exit) consistently escapes proper
acknowledgments. Petru Marginean and I introduced the concept in C++ and
argued for its usefulness. I invented the gorram scope(exit) statement
for D, and Walter almost forgot to acknowledge me. And now this. What
are you going to do...

Andrei