Boost.ScopeExit based on D's scope(exit)

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Mon Mar 2 11:23:09 PST 2009

Leandro Lucarella wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu, el  2 de marzo a las 10:42 me escribiste:
>> Leandro Lucarella wrote:
>>> Boost 1.38.0 includes a new library ScopeExit:
>>> http://www.boost.org/users/news/version_1_38_0
>>> This library is based on D's scope(exit) according to the documentation,
>>> see at the end of the link:
>>> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_38_0/libs/scope_exit/doc/html/scope_exit/alternatives.html
>> Cool. I confess I'm mildly miffed. In the "Acknowledge" section (sic) yours truly is being acknowledged "for pointing me to scope(exit) construct of the D
>> programming language." In the Alternatives section there's an unatrributed link to the ScopeGuard article. My understanding of ScopeExit looks much more inspired
>> and derivative from ScopeGuard than a distinct artifact, something that goes entirely unacknowledged.
>>
>> For some reason ScopeGuard and scope(exit) consistently escapes proper acknowledgments. Petru Marginean and I introduced the concept in C++ and argued for its
>> usefulness. I invented the gorram scope(exit) statement for D, and Walter almost forgot to acknowledge me. And now this. What are you going to do...
>
> Is there any particular reason why you are so concerned about credits? I'm
> not saying they don't matter, but you seem to take it too hard.

I'm, if anything, at the very low end of credit-beggars foodchain. You
wouldn't believe if I told you about some (rather notorious within the
community) people I know that ought to be a tad more modest :o). I just
have a dim view of not giving credit. Proper credit is extremely easy to
give, costs nothing, and is the right thing to do. The author of
ScopeExit clearly knew everything of ScopeGuard since he linked to it,
but did not quite acknowledge the relationship of his work to
ScopeGuard, which should be done even assuming he developed ScopeExit
entirely in isolation. That's just... you don't do that.

Andrei