Boost.ScopeExit based on D's scope(exit)

Lionello Lunesu lionello at lunesu.remove.com
Mon Mar 2 23:34:36 PST 2009

"Andrei Alexandrescu" <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote in message
news:goh9ao$96r$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Leandro Lucarella wrote:
>> Boost 1.38.0 includes a new library ScopeExit:
>> http://www.boost.org/users/news/version_1_38_0
>>
>> This library is based on D's scope(exit) according to the documentation,
>> see at the end of the link:
>> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_38_0/libs/scope_exit/doc/html/scope_exit/alternatives.html
>>

> Cool. I confess I'm mildly miffed. In the "Acknowledge" section (sic)
> yours truly is being acknowledged "for pointing me to scope(exit)
> construct of the D  programming language." In the Alternatives section
> there's an unatrributed link to the ScopeGuard article. My understanding
> of ScopeExit looks much more inspired and derivative from ScopeGuard than
> a distinct artifact, something that goes entirely unacknowledged.
>
> For some reason ScopeGuard and scope(exit) consistently escapes proper
> acknowledgments. Petru Marginean and I introduced the concept in C++ and
> argued for its usefulness. I invented the gorram scope(exit) statement for
> D, and Walter almost forgot to acknowledge me. And now this. What are you
> going to do...

Hey, at least you got explicitely quoted in the page's header:

"...one of the most highly regarded and expertly designed C++ library
projects in the world." - Herb Sutter and Andrei Alexandrescu, C++ Coding
Standards

L.

PS: my god, I remember why I hate c++ and boost.. I've been clean (of C++)
for 1 year now, and it feels great.