dmd 1.041 and 2.026 releases

Don nospam at nospam.com
Fri Mar 6 00:35:10 PST 2009

Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> Great release! :)
>
> Although I'm curious, where is the 3x speed improvement from? Just general
> misc optimizations, or something specific?

It's just the exp(), expm1(), and exp2() functions. Previously they used
  some extremely slow asm instructions. I wrote completely new
implementations that are fast. It was done primarily because the C std
math library was inaccurate on Mac OSX. Most people won't care. But in
the past, someone (Robert Frazer, I think) had complained that DMD's
exp() was the bottleneck in his code, and was less than half as fast as
MSVC/Intel, so the speed of these functions is actually critical sometimes.