Open source dmd on Reddit!

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri Mar 6 21:43:11 PST 2009

"Jesse Phillips" <jessekphillips at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:gosuaj$2qdu$1 at digitalmars.com...

> So it basically needs to be free in all senses of the word. I disagree
> but many others seem to hold this view. I don't know why they don't just
> call it "free software."

IIRC, Once upon a time, it was like that. "Open source" meant "source is
available at no cost". "Free-as-in-freedom software" meant "A superset of
'open-source', plus other freedoms such as redistro." I think a lot of the
people that got into the Linux/OSS/Slashdot/etc scenes in the last few years
never actually learned the difference and thus go running around equating
"open source" with GPL/zlib/BSD/etc.