rdmd

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sat Mar 7 08:52:52 PST 2009

Christopher Wright wrote:
> Okay, here's an improved version of rdmd with config files.

Thanks, that's interesting.

> Added features:
> - Config file
>   - Specify a compiler
>   - Specify default imports for --eval
>   - Specify build flags

I'm sorry, I think a config file is overkill. Perl has many more options
and does fine without any configuration besides the envvar PERL5LIB.

But indeed there must be a possibility to veer away from the hardcoded
imports.

> - Option to show source with --eval

Sounds good.

> - Changed the definition of "main" with --eval to use 'in char[][]'
> rather than 'string[]' (the args probably don't matter much anyway)

in char[][] is the worst of the pack because it's the supertype of both
immutable and mutable. You're better off with either string[] or char[][].

> - Executables are stored in the temp directory, not the current
> directory. This way, they can be reused even if you change directories;
> and they don't clutter up your working directory.

That's a good idea.

> Attached is a sample rdmd.conf as well as the modified source (based on
> r958 from the phobos repository).

Thanks. Let's hold off on that for a bit until we all have the same phobos.

Andrei