Open source dmd on Reddit!

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Sat Mar 7 13:55:24 PST 2009

Charles Hixson wrote:
> Perhaps there just *ISN'T* a good way to do templates & mixins.  The
> syntaxes that I have encountered previously, including D's, have caused
> me to avoid all but the simplest cases of using them.  I admit that they
> appear quite powerful (not really using them I can't say more than
> that), but they're UGLY.  Well, habituation can change ones aesthetic
> sense, so that's not really objective.  They look ugly to me at the
> present time, as they have for the past year.

templates and mixins were designed fairly independently of each other,
without much of any existing practice to see how it should be done, so
it's not a big surprise that they may not fit together that nicely.

> As always, these are relatively trivial problems.  The major problem is
> the lack of libraries, and there doesn't seem to be any way around that
> except time.  But the division between tango and phobos isn't making
> solving that any easier.  (I'm afraid that I can't bring myself to trust
> tangobos.  It always seems to be mentioned with a "you can use this
> until you really convert to tango" kind of comment.)

Sean Kelly has put together druntime, which provides a common root for
phobos and tango so they can work together.