Open source dmd on Reddit!

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Thu Mar 12 12:59:08 PDT 2009

Ary Borenszweig wrote:
> How do you pronounce the first letter of "I"? And the first letter of
> "Incredible"? That doesn't seem to have any logic! :-P

If you work with kids teaching them to read phonetically (rather than
look-say), you'll discover that by and large, the phonetic rules work
very well. They'll pronounce about 80% of the unfamiliar words
reasonably correctly.

The words that don't work so well phonetically are often borrow-words
from foreign languages or words that have had their pronounciation shift
over the years since their spelling was sed. For example, the silent 'e'
at the end used to be pronounced.