Open source dmd on Reddit!

Ary Borenszweig ary at esperanto.org.ar
Thu Mar 12 16:49:39 PDT 2009

Bill Baxter escribió:
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 4:11 PM, Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:
>> "Nick Sabalausky" <a at a.a> wrote in message
>> news:gpc4m6$30nt$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>> "Walter Bright" <newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
>>> news:gpc2ik$2t80$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>> Native Japanese words never use the Katakana alphabet, and loanwords never
>>> use the Hiragana alphabet (those are the two phonetic alphabets). So in
>>> Japanese, each word has at most 2 written forms: one using the
>>> non-phonetic Chinese Kanji characters (ie, the third alphabet) and one
>>> using just whichever -kana is appropriate. Also, suffixes and articles
>>> (ie, not the "magazine" type) are always (to my knowledge) in Hiragana,
>>> never one of the other two alphabets.
>>>
>>> Also, the "two" phonetic Japanese alphabets are really comparable to
>>> either uppercase vs lowercase or cursive vs print. So in the same sense
>>> that Japanese has three alphabets, we really have four.
>>>
>> Also, I'm not saying that their way is either better or worse overall. I'm
>> just saying that it does at least have certain benefits.
>
> I can tell you that my son is having a much easier time learning to
> read hiragana than roman letters.   He knows his ABCs but he still
> can't really read much of anything using what he knows.   The hiragana
> on the other hand, once you know 'ka' for instance it's pronounced
> precisely 'ka' wherever you see it.  So he calls them out on all the
> signs he sees.  The only mistake he makes is sometimes reading right
> to left instead of left to right.   But he gets frustrated trying to
> pronounce English words.

Spanish, French and Italian are also easy in that sense. There's not
much choice as to how to pronounce a word. Either a letter is pronounced
always the same, or a combination of letters is pronounced always the
same. The only gotcha is that many letters may have the same sound, so
by hearing the word you might not know how to write it.

In the company I work we just finished building a website, chose a name
for it, and we still don't know how it is pronounced in English. We only
have suppositions. :-P