Numpy Random Number Generators

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Fri May 1 05:51:24 PDT 2009

== Quote from Andrei Alexandrescu (SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org)'s article
> dsimcha wrote:
> > I've ported a large portion of the Numpy random number generation library to
> > D.  (I excluded the uniform random number generators because Phobos and Tango
> > already have good implementations of these, and a few distributions because
> > they were obscure and hard to test properly.  I may add the obscure
> > probability distributions later.)
> >
> > The results appear pretty good  (I added unit tests that make sure the results
> > are sane while I was at it).
> >
> > The module is licensed under the BSD license.  The code is available at:
> > http://dsource.org/projects/dstats/browser/trunk/random.d
> >
> > Docs are at http://svn.dsource.org/projects/dstats/docs/random.html
> > although there's not much there.  If you understand the probability
> > distribution you're trying to sample from, it's pretty self-explanatory.  If
> > not, a little bit of ddoc isn't going to help, and Wikipedia is probably a
> > better choice.
> >
> These look great. Could I convince you to contribute them to Phobos?
> Andrei

I would certainly be willing to grant permission for these to be included in
Phobos.  The only problem is the original code that I ported is BSD licensed,
meaning you have to include all the relevant disclaimers.  I place no additional
restrictions on it, but for Phobos, the BSD license's requirements might be too
restrictive.