Slide design

BCS ao at pathlink.com
Tue May 5 09:44:02 PDT 2009

Reply to Sean,

> == Quote from Andrei Alexandrescu (SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org)'s
> article
>
>> I don't agree. I think there is much more at work here. Slides are
>> limited in size and text content simply because there is so much
>> information a person can absorb simultaneously by hearing and seeing.
>> So the slide with text is simply an anchor, a high-level memento to
>> rest one's eyes on, while the speaker gives some detail pertaining to
>> the high-level points that the slide makes.
>>
> For lectures I basically have a choice between two options:
>
> 1. Take notes and not remember a darn thing that was said. 2. Not take
> any notes and remember the lecture.
>
> I've seen a few raised eyebrows at times, but this is why I never
> write anything down at a meeting or lecture I'm attending--it draws my
> focus away from the material being presented.
>
> What I really like is when a lecturer provides pre-written notes for
> their
> presentation.  This way I can get everything out of the lecture
> itself, and
> still have material to review later if I want to be reminded of some
> detail.
> Other than a professor or two I've seen precious few people actually
> do
> this however.

I also find that taking notes isn't much use to me. I can't take good enough
notes to get everything out of them, so whatever I don't remember outright,
I need to be able to read out of the text. Mostly I end up remembering what
was taught (as in a list of topics) and how they relate and then dig out
the textbook (or wikipidia) for the details. This works because, if I known
what questions to ask and topics to Google, I can almost always figure things
out my self .

After 6 years of collage, all the notes I have taken could fit in a 1.5 inch
binder