Slide design

Christopher Wright dhasenan at gmail.com
Tue May 5 15:31:49 PDT 2009

Simen Kjaeraas wrote:
> On Mon, 04 May 2009 20:47:10 +0200, Sean Kelly <sean at invisibleduck.org>
> wrote:
>
>> == Quote from Andrei Alexandrescu (SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org)'s
>> article
>>>
>>> I don't agree. I think there is much more at work here. Slides are
>>> limited in size and text content simply because there is so much
>>> information a person can absorb simultaneously by hearing and seeing. So
>>> the slide with text is simply an anchor, a high-level memento to rest
>>> one's eyes on, while the speaker gives some detail pertaining to the
>>> high-level points that the slide makes.
>>
>> For lectures I basically have a choice between two options:
>>
>> 1. Take notes and not remember a darn thing that was said.
>> 2. Not take any notes and remember the lecture.
>
> I'm fond of using the third option: Not take notes unless something
> unexpected pops up.
> I tend to use notes for remembering things I will look up later,
> not for learning directly.

I take notes so that I will remember what was said five minutes prior. I
never review notes after the lecture, but during, it helps me work
through the examples given, at my own rate, and change the notation used.

For example, I was at a compilers lecture and took twenty minutes to
understand a parsing example. Then I changed the notation slightly in my
notes (the professor was using states 1, 2, 3, ... and rules 1, 2, 3,
...; I changed the states to be S1, S2, S3, ... and the rules to be R1,
R2, R3, ...) and suddenly everything became a lot clearer.