Slide design

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at iki.fi
Tue May 5 19:58:08 PDT 2009

Sean Kelly wrote:
> == Quote from BCS (ao at pathlink.com)'s article
>> Reply to Walter,

>>> In my experience, the lack of a textbook for the material was mostly
>>> the result of the professor generating his own material and thinking
>>> the existing textbooks were all inadequate.
>>>
>> The next step (down) from that is the class where the professor wrote the
>> text book. That's a bad thing because if you don't understand the lecture,
>> the book won't help
>
> My Physics courses were like this, and it was incredibly frustrating.  I think
> it was probably the reason that Physics at my Uni was reputed to be so
> difficult.

My College Physics teacher wrote our book. I never found it good. But
then, he was a bodybuilder. Once he had connected a heavy iron core coil
in series with a lamp and a battery. And he had an iron anchor, which he
removed from the coil. The lamp blew, and he said "gee, what a
coincidence". I remarked dryly, "that's what you get for removing the
anchor". From that day on, he hated me. Later in a big exam, he came to
my desk and said "well, einstein, just see to it that you get full
points". Thaks a lot.