dmd 1.045 / 2.030 release

Leandro Lucarella llucax at gmail.com
Tue May 12 19:58:32 PDT 2009

Christopher Wright, el 12 de mayo a las 19:14 me escribiste:
> Leandro Lucarella wrote:
> >Walter Bright, el 12 de mayo a las 09:40 me escribiste:
> >>Yes, I sent it to people who'd asked for a prerelease so they could
> >>check their builds against it.
> >I think a better way to do prereleases is to do a "full" release but mark
> >it as a release candidate.
> >For example, make a DMD 1.045rc release. Wait a week, if nobody complains,
> >release DMD 1.045. If somebody complains, fix the bug, make a DMD
> >1.045rc2, etc (normally the final would be the same as the rc, and there
> >should be very rare cases where a rc2+ would be needed). Maybe it's
> >a little more work, but I'm sure the prerelease will get a lot more
> >testing than a hidden release and people won't get confused thinking that
> >something that is in the website ready for download and looks like a final
> >release, really is a "hidden prerelease".
> >Anyways, I think pre-releasing is great and it's better to have it this
> >way than not having them at all.
>
> -rc is good when you have long release cycles. It isn't appropriate for
> dmd, which has very short release cycles.

The Linux kernel has a release every 3 months (aprox.) and they release
about 10 rc for each version.

DMD is released roughly every month. I think having 1 or 2 rc version
(just when they are needed, not like the Linux kernel where it's know that
there will be more than 5 rc for sure) makes perfect sense.

> If dmd had public source control, we could set up continuous integration
> for it that will, for instance, run dstress and attempt to compile the
> latest release of various common libraries. Then Walter can just check
> its results when he wants to do a release -- depending on how long that
> takes to run.

This would be very nice indeed, I suggested to put DMD (specially the
frontend) in a SCM a long time ago, but I think this is orthogonal with
the rc. A lot of people don't want to keep checking a development version.
They just want to test the compiler as it would be release (considered
a "finished version") to report weird regressions.