Taunting

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Fri May 22 07:39:35 PDT 2009

grauzone wrote:
> Saaa wrote:
>> "grauzone" <none at example.net> wrote in message
>> news:gv4p44$1jq7$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>> How about posting a link to something everyone can play? Like an
>>> actual video file?
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>
>> Isn't youtube a video upload site with an inbuilt player?
>
> Yes, but it requires Flash and an unholy amount of AJAX.
> No one can be bothered with installing Flash and having a JavaScript
> enabled browser, when something like mplayer would be enough. Especially
> if the media player works _much_better_.

Obviously the large number of people using such sites are trying to
prove you wrong.  :P

To be fair, the alternatives aren't much better.  Embedding a WMV or MOV
is even more annoying, and Java's just a tremendous pain in the arse.

It'd be nice if the current efforts to standardise <video> in HTML5
could do away with Flash video et al, but I'm not holding my breath on that.

>> download youtube video
>
> Can't see a download button anywhere on YouTube. Obviously, Google
> forces users to install Flash.

Possessing a burning hatred of Flash isn't going to get everyone else to
stop using it.  If that worked, we'd have killed off IE6 years ago.

Either build a better system and get it installed on >90% of the world's
PCs or learn to live with it.  :P

  -- Daniel