Taunting

grauzone none at example.net
Fri May 22 08:21:30 PDT 2009

> Yes, heaven forbid Ary spends his time adding and improving features
> when he should be building a new editor from the ground up.

That's not what I'm saying. First, he's free to do with his time
whatever he chooses to. Second, I think it'd be better to decouple
debugger and editor. For example, I'd like to use this feature without
having to use an entire IDE. Wouldn't it be great to have a free choice
what components to use?

Of course, that's only theory. In practice, it's simpler to built on an
existing framework, GUI, and so on. And Ary is actually in favor of the
fat-IDE-approach. I mean, that's fine, I don't expect him to change
anything about this and I respect his opinion.

> In all seriousness, I hate IDEs because they are big, slow, and waste
> vast tracts of prime monitor space.  But I'm willing to put up with that
> for Descent's compile-time view and (hopefully soon) compile-time debugging.
>
> If I could get that in a super fast, light programming editor, I'd use
> that instead.  But I can't.

As I said, I don't like all-in-one components. Except if it's really a
holy grail of an IDE (by definition, everything would be perfect). But
yeah, you can't have that. Thus it'd be better to split functionality
and features across different pieces of software.