Taunting

Robert Fraser fraserofthenight at gmail.com
Fri May 22 13:35:54 PDT 2009

Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "Saaa" <empty at needmail.com> wrote in message
> news:gv6qcj$2ckd$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>> If I could get that in a super fast, light programming editor, I'd use
>>> that instead.  But I can't.
>> Wasn't there an effort somewhere to port eclipse to D ?
>>

> I have no idea, but that does raise an interesting question (maybe one of
> our resident Eclipse experts can answer it?): If it were ported to D, would
> that really improve the speed/resource-usage? From various things I've
> heard, I fear the answer may be "only a little bit" and that it would still
> need a bunch of extra optimizations (Although despite claims of Java being
> fast, I would think it still has a big limit in that there's a lot of
> optimizations that just simply can't be done without a systems language like
> D).

A direct port of Eclipse to D I would guess to be much SLOWER. Eclipse
relies *heavily* on inheritance (Java can inline virtual calls; D can't)
and allocating many small objects (something D tests badly in, and Java
is particularly well-suited for).

There's also a lot of static initialization that would need to be
converted to static this() in D. However, in Java, the static stuff is
initialized lazily at the first time it's used, while in D, it's all run
at startup, even if only 1/5th of it is going to be used.

If the codebase were D-ized, it's possible that native code
optimizations make it slightly faster (though the shootout shows Java
performing nearly as well as C/C++/D for many tasks).