Taunting

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Sat May 23 00:36:51 PDT 2009

Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "Daniel Keep" <daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:gv6ddk$1kon$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>
>> Possessing a burning hatred of Flash isn't going to get everyone else to
>> stop using it.  If that worked, we'd have killed off IE6 years ago.
>>
>> Either build a better system and get it installed on >90% of the world's
>> PCs or learn to live with it.  :P
>
> Ok, so there's a lot retarded lemmings running around believing youtube
> isn't an absolute abomination to the web. And people like us who ARE capable
> of knowing better have a responsibility do whatever we can (even if it's
> nothing more than complain) to NOT help encourage such F%^& stupidity.
> Bottom line is, Flash (ok, at least most uses of it, not all), and
> especially flash-embedded video, needs to die. Throwing our hands into the
> air and exclaiming "Gee, it's too hard to make that happen!" and blindly
> joining the masses of lemmings has got to be the absolute stupidest most
> self-defeating and downright irresponsible response to such a situation I've
> ever seen.
>
> "Enron/MS/Apple/whatever is screwing us over! Let's just shut up and learn
> to live with it!"

And your response is one of the most over-reactionary I've seen.

There's a difference between doing nothing and not doing anything useful.

I advocate, where I can, not using Flash.  I try to let people know that
having a site depend on JavaScript is stupid.  I tell people to develop
sites in vanilla HTML and then add JS and Flash if they want to
optionally enhance the site, not to make it require them.

I also upload stuff to the likes of Google Video and Youtube when I want
to share video because I don't stick my head in the sand and pretend the
real world doesn't exist.

When there is a viable alternative, I'll use that.  But there isn't.
You want to change that?  Grab the Mozilla source and start making
patches to improve the HTML5 video support.  Write a plugin for IE that
adds support for the video element.  Create an easy to use GUI that
transcodes from any format into Theora and then helps you upload it.

Do anything other than just yell at people for using the best option
available to them and offer nothing in return.