OT: Flash (Was: Re: Taunting)

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Sat May 23 07:50:33 PDT 2009

naryl wrote:
> Daniel Keep Wrote:
>> Robert Fraser wrote:
>>> 5. Silverlight replaces it (and then we're all doomed).
>> Then we'd just be exchanging one problem for another (arguably) worse one.
>
> What about JavaFX?

Yeah, I doubt that's going to go anywhere.  They're basically Java
Applets 2.0, with all the same problems.

Namely Flash still has better tools.  Hell, Silverlight has better tools.

That and the fact that although I know that JavaFX exists, I can't
recall ever seeing it used.  Or promoted.  Or, really advertised in any
way whatsoever apart from the infrequent Ars or Slashdot post about how
it's competing with AIR and Silverlight.

Oddly, I think JavaFX is the only one of the current set of "zomg web on
tha desktawp!" runtimes that doesn't work on Linux.  Rather perplexing
when you think back to Sun's "write once, run anywhere" rhetoric...