OT: Flash and Javascript (Was: Taunting)

Ary Borenszweig ary at esperanto.org.ar
Sun May 24 14:34:43 PDT 2009

grauzone escribió:
>> browsers. What's the big deal everyone have with Javascript?
>
> It's unnecessary, annoying, slower, and adds security holes.

Anything which connects to the internet poses a security hole, like your
web browser. So that's not a reason.

Also, Javascript makes some stuff faster because you don't have to
reload the whole page again.

> About AJAX, you know it breaks the back button and all other sorts of
> practical things you are used from normal web browsing.

Not if implemented correctly. See Gmail, for example. It uses AJAX all
the time, and back and forward buttons work as expected. I think
Facebook does this too.

And
> occasionally, they use it for animations. Animations what for?

To show the user what just happened. If you just make some content
appear from nowhere, the user will not know what happened. If you make
it appear sliding from a particular point, then you are telling the user
that something is being created, and the trigger is that point.