ldc 0.9.1 released

Robert Clipsham robert at octarineparrot.com
Wed May 27 12:38:52 PDT 2009

Frits van Bommel wrote:
> Robert Clipsham wrote:
>> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>> Great! Quick question - are you supporting or considering supporting
>>> D2? I looked on the project's home page and couldn't find that
>>> information. There's mention of druntime for D2 which makes me hopeful.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Andrei
>>
>> D2 support in LDC has been started, but it does not have any of D2's
>> features implemented. I believe all that has been done is the frontend
>> added. Last time I checked ldc + d2 would not compile.
>>
>> I believe that the plan is to make D1 solid (more so than DMD), before
>> moving on to D2. One of the developers might be able to give a more
>> accurate status.
>
> That's pretty accurate, actually.
>
> A while back somebody sent in a patch to get D2 support working, but by
> the time it got properly reviewed it was already outdated...
>
> The main problem on this front is that nobody currently working on LDC
> is particularly interested in D2.

I actually thought about giving this a try about a week ago. I managed
to get all but one file to compile with the current version of the D2
front end (2.021 I believe)... Not bad considering my (lack of) C/C++
knowledge. If there's some interest for it I suppose I could give it
another shot and try to merge the latest front end, it'd be a good
chance for me to finally learn C/C++ (I made the <del>mistake</del>
decision to learn D first... I found it too awesome to bother learning
the obviously inferior C/C++ :P).