OT: Flash and Javascript (Was: Taunting)

Alexander Pánek alexander.panek at brainsware.org
Thu May 28 06:01:14 PDT 2009

grauzone wrote:
> Alexander Pánek wrote:
>>>
>>> It's unnecessary, annoying, slower, and adds security holes.
>>>
>>> When using Firefox, I usually use NoScript to block all scripts by
>>> default. Sometimes, some minor things don't work, and I have to
>>> enable JS. Now it's really rare to see functionality that couldn't be
>>> provided without JS. Rather, web designers seem to be really dumb and
>>> do stuff like replacing real links by script functions. As a prime
>>> example take YouTube. It's like YouTube doesn't believe in a life
>>> without AJAX! The simplest things don't work anymore. What for?
>>>
>>> About AJAX, you know it breaks the back button and all other sorts of
>>> practical things you are used from normal web browsing. And
>>> occasionally, they use it for animations. Animations what for? They
>>> only introduce artificial GUI latency. (You know, Win 3.11 feels
>>> faster.) A related example for annoying AJAX things are those
>>> "applet" like boxes, that contain a "loading" gif, and apparently
>>> loads a HTML subtree using AJAX.
>>>
>>> For completely over-engineered AJAX waste look at the Tango docs on
>>> dsource. I mean, it emulates frames, and the end result is worse than
>>> with good old frames! Ah yes, we all know frames are "outdated", but
>>> AJAX is hip and new! Let's emulate frames, because we feel it's too
>>> slow to reload the whole page again! (Now now, I wonder if the Tango
>>> docs even require a webserver. Maybe that's the reason why there's no
>>> downloadable documentation? But maybe I'm blaming the wrong thing here.)
>>>
>>> They told use not to use <blink> or <marquee>? OK, we'll just use JS!
>>>
>>> Among the best uses of JS I've seen are snow flakes moved by a script.
>>>
>>> /rant (I feel better now.)
>>
>> Look mah, JS and Flash combined in shiny modal windows:
>>
>> http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/05/27/modal-windows-in-modern-web-design/
>>

>> No, I really don’t want to torture you. Well, maybe a little. :P
>
> Oh god... why...

*snip*

“The modal window has many advantages. For example, when a modal window
contains a smaller element, the user doesn’t need to load an entirely
new page just to access it (another way to achieve the same effect is
e.g. by using AJAX-based tabs). By providing modal windows, you improve
the usability of your website. Having to load pages over and over will
annoy most users, so avoiding that is definitely a good thing. Modal
windows also allow you to save space by getting rid of large elements
that don’t need to be on the main page. For example, rather than putting
a full video on a page, you can just provide a link, thumbnail or button
of some sort.”

Because. ;)