OT: Flash and Javascript (Was: Taunting)

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Thu May 28 12:55:45 PDT 2009

"Alexander Pánek" <alexander.panek at brainsware.org> wrote in message
news:gvm3qh$1ld9$1 at digitalmars.com...
> grauzone wrote:
>> Alexander Pánek wrote:

>>> *snip*
>>>
>>> "The modal window has many advantages. For example, when a modal window
>>> contains a smaller element, the user doesn't need to load an entirely
>>> new page just to access it (another way to achieve the same effect is
>>> e.g. by using AJAX-based tabs). By providing modal windows, you improve
>>> the usability of your website. Having to load pages over and over will
>>> annoy most users, so avoiding that is definitely a good thing. Modal
>>> windows also allow you to save space by getting rid of large elements
>>> that don't need to be on the main page. For example, rather than putting
>>> a full video on a page, you can just provide a link, thumbnail or button
>>> of some sort."
>>
>> Yeah, I read that. I want to smash him to pieces.
>
> Why? I don't get it. Why is there so much hate and anger about it in the
> air? Srsly, this whole topic is just completely overrated. It's just the
> internet. ffs man.

Because they're like pop-up windows, except they actually manage to be
worse. Unlike traditional pop-ups, which are already bad enough:
- They're modal
- They aren't blocked by pop-up blocking software
- They sometimes include completely useless, interface-delaying animations.