bugzilla 424 - Unexpected OPTLINK Termination - solved!

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Tue Nov 3 14:18:36 PST 2009

Yigal Chripun wrote:
> Once Optlink is moved to C and than D, it could grow new
> features like link-time optimizations.

It does open up a lot of possibilities.

One I think would be of big benefit is for two COMDATs with different
names, but the same contents, being merged. This would eliminate a lot
of template bloat.

Currently, COMDATs are merged if and only if their names match exactly.

Another possibility is to merge the linker with dmd, so it can generate
executables directly without having to go through an object file step.