bugzilla 424 - Unexpected OPTLINK Termination - solved!

grauzone none at example.net
Wed Nov 4 12:20:31 PST 2009

Walter Bright wrote:
> grauzone wrote:
>> And during all that time, GNU ld worked just fine, completely without
>> bugs! I had to add hacks to my code to make it linkable on Windows.
>
> I've spent many hours trying to find workarounds for ld problems and
> undocumented behaviors. The prime suspect in dmd not working on Snow
> Leopard is a change in the linker behavior.

I bet OPTLINK caused more work than ld for both you and your users in
summary.

Anyway, it's your software, your decisions etc...

>> And no, GNU ld is not too slow. The most time during building is
>> wasted due to not having _working_ incremental building (Tom S
>> discussed the issues about that with you).
>
> Do you mean incremental linking or incremental compiling?

Compiling. I think it had to do with emitting code for templates. DSSS
(rebuild) had the same problem, and its author just gave up and called
dmd once per source file, which made it awfully slow.

xfbuild (Tom S is its author, isn't he?) incremental building still
doesn't work for me because of the same issue.