Code Poet, an IDE for D

Jeremie Pelletier jeremiep at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 07:05:54 PST 2009

watching wrote:
> most programmer want use the language and a lot libraries that come with it. instead of gui, db etc. you guys discuss until all prospective users are gone off to use something that lets them do the job
>
> maybe it is time to put a large effort into libraries by all the bright people that are arroung d.

The IDE I'm developing is exactly for that purpose, to bring more people
to D and to make writing D code more convenient.

The D language doesn't need to come with tons of libraries out of the
box, its a systems language after all; C++ only comes with the STL and C
with the stdlib, you need platform headers and third party libraries to
do something more than a simple console program.

The D2 spec is still in development and so are most libraries for it, a
book is getting near publication. I figured I'd contribute my part with
an IDE, C++ sounded like a convenient choice at the moment.

D is already much more convenient to use as a language than any other
language I touched before and its only a matter of time before its
libraries base grows.

In any ways, I believe its a good thing to use multiple languages to
better understand the differences between them, the end result doesn't
change. I could've used java, C#, python or even mozilla's XUL with
javascript and the IDE would've been the same.

Jeremie