dmd 1.052 for Mac OSX 10.6

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Fri Nov 13 02:20:44 PST 2009

Denis Koroskin wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 07:07:21 +0300, Walter Bright
> <newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote:
>
>> An update just to support Mac OSX 10.6. That also means the end of the
>> line for official support of 10.5 and earlier.
>>
>> http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.1.051.zip
>
> Isn't there any way to support both platforms?

No way to test on 10.5 without buying yet another machine. I don't know
if it works or not on 10.5. The "bus error" for 10.4 is probably back
because installing the 10.6 dev system from Apple seems to have deleted
the 10.4 stuff.

If someone wants to test it on 10.5, please do and report back with the
results. If it does not, and there's some simple change to make it do
so, I'll be happy to fold it in.

> Looking at the changes, I think it's even possible to add a new DMD flag
> (e.g. "-osx=10.5", defaults to 10.6) and keep an older behavior on demand.

The compiler changes should be backwards compatible with 10.5. (The
reason it didn't work with 10.6 is Apple changed the linker behavior; I
found a workaround which appears successful.)

> Alternatively, you could wrap the changes you made into #ifdef OSX_10_6
> ... #else ... #endif so that users could compile DMD with older Macs
> support from source. DMD would then be distributed with 2 binaries, e.g.
> dmd_10.6 and dmd_10.5 and dmd would be an alias/symlink to either of
> them (depending on the target platform).

On Windows I can build one binary that works from NT to Win7, a 20 year
span of operating systems.