Progopedia - encyclopedia of programming languages

Phil Deets pjdeets2 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 15:08:28 PST 2009

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 17:40:06 -0500, JMNorris <nospam at nospam.com> wrote:

> Walter Bright <newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote in news:heetio$be1$1
> @digitalmars.com:
>
>> Does someone want to write a D entry?
>>
>> http://progopedia.com/
>
> Okay.  I added a D entry.  It should be checked for accruacy.  I haven't
> added programming examples yet; I'll add at least the three example types
> shown on at http://progopedia.com/ (Hello world, Factorial, Fibonacci).

On the C++ page, I see:

Physical (shallow) equality	a == b
Physical (shallow) inequality	a != b
Deep equality	*a == *b (a and b are pointers)
Deep inequality	*a != *b (a and b are pointers)

On the D page, I see:

Physical (shallow) equality	x == y
Physical (shallow) inequality	x != y
Deep equality	x is y
Deep inequality	x !is y

I'm not sure which is right, but I don't think they can both be right as
"x is y" is more like "x == y" in C++ than "*x == *y". I might be wrong
here; as I am a bit confused about this.