Code Poet, an IDE for D

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Sun Nov 29 06:10:31 PST 2009

Wed, 11 Nov 2009 10:00:58 +0100, grauzone wrote:

> Jeremie Pelletier wrote:
>> It's been some time since I last posted to this newsgroup, I've been
>> quite busy these past weeks!
>>
>> Among other things, I started writing an IDE for D from scratch and
>> opened a SourceForge project for it a few minutes ago, I'll also open a
>> dsource project to link to the sf one in the following days.
>>
>> At first I tried to code it in D using wxD but soon found out the
>> limitations of these bindings, then I tried to write my own wxWidgets
>> bindings which worked great until i realized I was leaking memory like
>> hell and had a hard time linking garbage collected D objects to C++
>> reference counted objects without adding complex overhead.
>>
>> So after spending two weeks on these failed attempts, I jumped back
>> into C++ after two years of almost only writing D code, this time using
>> boost, and boy is that library sweet!
>
> Oh dear, that's not good publicity for D... I know the implementation
> language doesn't really matter, but it's just not good publicity.

Well, you sometimes have to accept that if the language isn't really
production quality yet, it's counterproductive to use it for real world
projects. When developing the IDE with C++, he will probably not run into
that many compiler bugs. With D each 500..1000 lines of code would
probably expose at least one bug.