DMD svn and contract inheritance

Jason House jason.james.house at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 16:55:35 PDT 2009

Walter Bright Wrote:

> Robert Clipsham wrote:
> > Leandro Lucarella wrote:
> >> Thanks for finally taking this way, Walter =)
> >>
> >> http://www.dsource.org/projects/dmd/timeline
> >
> > Now that DMD is under version control it should be fairly easy for me to
> > adapt the automated build system used for ldc for dmd. I can set it up
> > to automatically build dmd after a commit, and run dstress/build popular
> > projects and libraries, even package up dmd for "Nightly" builds and
> > maybe even post the results to the D newsgroups/IRC channels.
> >
> > If you'd be interested to see this Walter, let me know what exactly you
> > want automating/how and where you want results and I'll see about
> > setting it up for you.
>
> The problem is if some package fails, then I have a large debugging
> problem trying to figure out unfamiliar code.

With small commits to dmd, it should be trivial to know what small change in dmd caused a user observable change in behavior. If things look good on the dmd side, I'd really hope the code authors would help with debugging their code.

Knowing of a failure within an hour is way better than finding out a month later.

BTW, such regression tests work much better when all failing tests can be identified. It can help with figuring out patterns. Stopping on the first failure can be somewhat limiting, especially if the failure will stick around for a week.