dmd 1.047 and 2.032 releases

Leandro Lucarella llucax at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 09:01:34 PDT 2009

Don, el  3 de septiembre a las 17:30 me escribiste:
> Leandro Lucarella wrote:
> >Walter Bright, el  3 de septiembre a las 01:16 me escribiste:
> >>This will probably be the last OSX 10.5 release, the next should be 10.6.
> >>
> >>http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/changelog.html
> >>http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.1.047.zip
> >>

> >>http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html
> >>http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.2.032.zip
> >>
> >>Many thanks to the numerous people who contributed to this update.
> >These are a very good release, thanks for your work.
> >Aren't the new CTFE capabilities new features?
>
> They're basically bug fixes. All that stuff should have worked.

Not all of them, I've seen the spacs have changed for D2:
http://www.dsource.org/projects/phobos/changeset/1262

I'm just talking about the changes that relaxed the CTFE restrictions
imposed in the specs. Again, that can be called simply a non-standard DMD
extension to D1 and that would be fine with me.

> >Don't get me wrong, as I stated before, I'm really glad D1 get some new
> >features/improvements, I just think the changes should be a little more
> >tested before hit D1 (and new aditions to D1 should be more planned, for
> >example, leaving them in D2 for a few releases only, so you can get real
> >feedback from users before puting them in D1, and having some version
> >scheme to indicate when new features are added).
>
> I believe you will find the new CTFE very stable. In implementing the
> improvements, many structural problems were fixed. It turns out to be
> a very effective way of diagnosing bugs.

You never know. People use features in extremely different ways, sometimes
in ways you can't possibly foreseen (I think once Walter said that about
the kind of magic you do with CTFE =). Maybe you break some code that
relied on something that doesn't compile (as Bartoz shows in his last post
=). I'm not saying that would happen, I'm just saying that there is a lot
of D out there, and even a simple change should be taken with care. There
are 2 versions of D, one stable and one in development, I think that
should be used and put new features out there in the development version
only for some time, just to be sure, and then move them to the stable
version (some sort of Debian testing/stable =P).

And I want to say again that all your contribution, in this release in the
CTFE front specially, is really impressive, and I hope you keep doing what
you're doing for a long time, even if changes are folded in D1 with blind
trust =)