dmd 1.047 and 2.032 releases

Robert Clipsham robert at octarineparrot.com
Tue Sep 8 03:55:58 PDT 2009

Walter Bright wrote:
> Robert Clipsham wrote:
>> Unlikely, sorry. LDC 2 is in a very early alpha state. Currently a
>> custom version of druntime compiles (a patch has been submitted), how
>> much of it functions correctly remains to be seen. Anything using the
>> GC doesn't work as some of the GC code segfaults, and about 90% of
>> phobos doesn't compile. How soon LDC 2 appears will more than likely
>> depend on if anyone else takes an interest in developing it, I don't
>> have enough time to really dig into it and make it a fully functioning
>> D2 compiler unfortunately.
>
> What's the essential problem?

LDC 2 is essentially just LDC (a D1 compiler) with the dmd 2 frontend
instead of the dmd 1 frontend. As you can imagine this leaves quite a
lot of what's passed to LDC unhandled or handled the way it would be in
D1 instead of D2 (leading to bad codegen, probably the reason the GC
segfaults, yet to investigate that though). I'm also pretty sure some of
the frontend still needs tweaking so it passes what ldc is expecting to
it rather than what the dm backend expects.

When LDC 2 starts making some progress I'll try and put a patch together
for you to simplify merges for us, I'll let you know if there's anything
else you can do to aid development as we progress :)