Crash handler with stack trace

Leandro Lucarella llucax at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 16:28:51 PDT 2009

bearophile, el 20 de septiembre a las 22:31 me escribiste:
> Jeremie Pelletier:
>
> > I couldn't agree more about the need for a GC benchmark suite,
>
> I am slowly creating one (a general one) that later may be used for LDC
> :-)
>

> > If you come across such a benchmark suite, let me know, I would love
> > to see how it performs against druntime's GC.
>
> Similar GC benchmark suites don't grow on trees. I don't think one
> exists yet for D (ask to Lucarella too).

Unfortunately I had not much success at making a benchmark suite. I think
the main reason is the... "diversity" you find in D. You have D1/Phobos,
D1/Tango and D2/Druntime. Doing a benchmark suite that works with all is
very hard, you have to "port" the benchmark to 3 almost different
languages. And any decent GC benchmark test *real* programs. I was unable
to find any real programs (suitable for a GC benchmarks at least) for
D that are properly maintained except Dil, which is the only program
I plan to use in my benchmarks (I had a lot of problems lately with a bug
in my Naive collector that I'm still trying to find). Picking Dil means to
stay in the D1 Tango world, because I don't have the time to port Dil to
D1/Phobos nor D2/Druntime, so there it goes the "cross-D-version"
benchmark.

I only have that, and a few micro-benchmarks I collected in the 3 or
4 years I've been lurking this newsgroup (there are very few though). I'll
have to make at least a few more micro-benchmarks for multi-threaded
applications, since my plan is to add concurrency to the GC, so I'll have
to measure that scenario.

You can find my benchmark sources in this git repo (is not very
interesting for now, really):
http://git.llucax.com.ar/w/software/dgc/dgcbench.git

In my blog are a few (meaningless but nice) graphs for the Naive GC =)
http://proj.llucax.com.ar/blog/dgc/blog

I'll posting the results of the tests using the Tango basic collector
soon.